The MVS Migration System (MVS-MS) - 5787-MVS
The MVS Migration System (MVS-MS) was distributed by IBM to its world-wide
VSE customers as a Field-Developed Program (FDP) from 1986 to 1997. MVS-MS was
based on Cortex-MS
and until 1992, there were almost no differences between the two products.
There were several steps in the evolution of the MVS-MS product:
- October 1986, IBM announces V1R1 (286-489); the price for an 18-month
license in the U.S. was $65k.
- May 1987, IBM announces the IBM SOLUTIONPAC VSE/MVS Migration Assistant
(287-197) for its MVS-MS customers.
- May 1989, IBM announces V1R2 (289-163); the licence fee for U.S. customers
was increased to $75k.
Our recollection is that V1R2 included only two
- Tool to generate VSE and MVS file transfer JCL; this was based on a
technique we invented in 1985
- Sample CCCA jobs (MVS JCL) for customers using VS COBOL II in MVS
- The MVS-MS product received no functional enhancement after V1R2.
- In 1997, IBM discontinued marketing and support for MVS-MS (997-358),
along with many other IBM offerings which were considered "not year 2000
MVS-MS is mentioned several times in GG66-3113
- VSE to MVS Differences and Migration Guide and SG24-2043
- VSE to OS/390 Migration Workbook.
The MVS-MS Library
Here is a complete list of the documents available with the MVS-MS
- General Information GB11-8074
- Planning Guide SB11-8077
- Planning Chart SB11-8090
- User's Guide LB11-8078
- Sub-System Reference LB11-8079
- MVS Production Standards LB11-8080
- Production Control Language LB11-8081
- Operations LB11-8082
- Installation LB11-8083
- Customization LB11-8084
- Messages and Codes LB11-8085
- Production Control Language Card LB11-8089